Thursday September 16 2010
CITY COUNCIL SPECIAL MEETING
COUNCIL CHAMBERS (MacKenzie Hall)
800 DUNLOP ROAD
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2010
- Call to Order
- Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance (Mayor Ruane)
- Public Comment
2:05 P.M EXECUTIVE SESSION RELATING TO UNION NEGOTIATIONS
In Attendance shall be only the following persons: Mayor, Kevin Ruane Vice Mayor, Mick Denham Councilmember, Marty Harrity Councilmember, Jim Jennings Councilmember, Peter Pappas Sanibel City Manager, Judie Zimomra Sanibel City Attorney, Kenneth Cuyler Director of Administrative Services, Jim Isom Finance Director, Sylvia Edwards Wayne Helsby, Labor Counsel (Allen, Norton & Blue), via telephone
IF A PERSON DECIDES TO APPEAL A DECISION MADE BY THE COUNCIL ON ANY MATTER CONSIDERED AT THIS MEETING/HEARING, SUCH PERSON MAY NEED TO ENSURE THAT A VERBATIM RECORD OF THE PROCEEDINGS IS MADE, TO INCLUDE THE TESTIMONY AND EVIDENCE UPON WHICH ANY SUCH APPEAL IS TO BE BASED.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT, PERSONS NEEDING A SPECIAL ACCOMMODATION TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS PROCEEDING SHOULD CONTACT JIM ISOM, MANAGER OF ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES NO LATER THAN ONE DAY PRIOR TO THE PROCEEDINGS. TELEPHONE (239) 472-3700 FOR ASSISTANCE IF HEARING IMPAIRED, TELEPHONE THE FLORIDA RELAY SERVICE AT 711.
Citizens may request to receive Sanibel City Council and Planning Commission meeting agenda directly via e-mail. Citizens wishing to receive a copy of the agenda via e-mail may do so by visiting the City’s website at www.mysanibel.com . Additionally, citizens may register to receive City announcements such as press releases. Prior to requesting the agendas, the website reminds citizens that all e-mail addresses and requests submitted to the City are public information and governed by the applicable Florida Statute.
HORIZON – UPCOMING IMPORTANT DATES
|Sunday||September 18, 2010||Yom Kippur|
|Tuesday||September 21, 2010||City Council Meeting||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
|Tuesday||September 21, 2010||Final Budget Hearing||MacKenzie Hall 5:01 P.M.|
|Tuesday||October 5, 2010||City Council Meeting||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
|Tuesday||October 19, 2010||City Council Meeting||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
|Sunday||October 31, 2010||Halloween - Trick or Treat|
|Thursday||November 2, 2010||City Council Meeting||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
|Thursday||November 11, 2010||City Hall Closed in Observance of Veterans Day|
|Thursday||November 11, 2010||Veteran Day Ceremony - City Hall Flagpole||City Hall Flagpole 10:45 A.M.|
|Thursday||November 18, 2010||Student Government Day||Mackenzie Hall 10:00 A.M.|
|Thursday||November 25, 2010||City Hall Closed in Observance of Thanksgiving|
|Friday||November 26, 2010||City Hall Closed in Observance of Thanksgiving|
|Friday||December 3, 2010||Luminary Tree Lighting||TBA|
|Tuesday||December 7, 2010||City Council Meeting||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
|Friday||December 24, 1010||City Hall Closed in Observance of Christmas|
|Saturday||December 25, 2010||Christmas Day|
|Saturday||December 31, 2010||City Hall Closed in Observance of New Year’s|
|Tuesday||January 1, 2011||New Years Day|
|Monday||January 4, 2011||City Council Meeting||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
|Monday||January 17, 2011||City Hall Closed in Observance of Martin Luther King Birthday|
|Tuesday||February 1, 2011||City Council Meeting||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
|Tuesday||March 1, 2011||City Council Meeting - Election Day||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
|Tuesday||March 15, 2011||City Council Meeting - Annual Election Of Mayor & Vice-Mayor - Swearing In New Councilmembers||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
|Tuesday||April 5, 2011||City Council Meeting||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
|Tuesday||May 3, 2010||City Council Meeting||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
|Monday||May 30, 2011||City Hall Closed in Observance of Memorial Day|
|Tuesday||June 7, 2011||City Council Meeting||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
|Tuesday||July 19, 2011||City Council Meeting (Set Proposed Millage Rate )||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
|Tuesday||August 2, 2011||City Council Meeting||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
|Tuesday||September 10, 2011||City Council Meeting||MacKenzie Hall 9:00 A.M.|
Sanibel City Council
“RULES OF CIVILITY FOR PUBLIC PARTICIPATION”
In recognition that public discourse is essential to the democratic system of government on April 16, 2002, Sanibel City Council adopted a Proclamation embracing civility in public deliberations. These rules were updated February 22, 2007.
Therefore, Sanibel City Council sanctioned these rules for public participation while conducting meetings and workshops:
1. Speakers are permitted to deliver his or her comments without interruption.
2. Speakers and debates should focus on issues, not on persons or personalities.
3. Persons are encouraged to participate in the governmental process.
4. To allow time to hear all points of view, speakers are allotted 3 minutes each time they are recognized.
5. Sidebar discussions while others are speaking are not permitted in Council Chambers. These discussions are to be removed from the chamber so as not to be disruptive to those conducting and following Council business.
6. Only the speaker recognized by the Chairperson has the floor. Speakers should raise their hand to be recognized. Speakers should identify themselves for the record. Speakers should utilize the microphone so that their comments can be recorded.
7. Anyone wishing to speak on an issue is given an opportunity to speak before speakers are recognized for an opportunity to speak a second time on an issue.
8. We seek to understand one another’s points of view.
9. Anger, rudeness, ridicule, impatience and lack of respect for others are not acceptable behavior. Demonstrations in support or opposition to a speaker or idea such as clapping, cheering, booing or hissing or intimidating body language are not permitted in Council Chambers or workshop facilities.
10. We should all take initiative to make things better. Our goal is to foster an environment, which encourages a fair discussion and exchange of ideas without fear of personal attacks.