About the Department
The Sanibel Department of Planning and Code Enforcement has several key responsibilities, including the following:
- Maintain, update, and implement the Sanibel Plan.
- Administer the Land Development Code through consistent and effective education, and enforcement.
- Review and act on development and land use applications in an efficient, uniform, and thorough manner.
- Provide professional and proactive planning services to City Council, the Planning Commission, appointed committees, the City Manager, City Departments, and the community.
- Manage the City's Redevelopment Planning Program consistent with priorities established by City Council.
- Provide short- and long-range transportation planning that emphasizes alternative forms of travel.
- Manage public records consistent with the Florida State Statutes, the Sanibel Code, and the City's policies and procedures.
- Facilitate timely and accurate public notice, open communication, transparent planning and regulatory processes and procedures, effective citizen participation, and innovation in service delivery.
- Provide planning and related services to support and retain local businesses.
- Provide natural hazard mitigation planning services and, in the event of an emergency, provide administrative, permitting, inspection, and support services.
The Sanibel Department of Planning and Code Enforcement faces challenges in several areas, such as keeping up with available technology, simplifying processes for greater efficiency, and planning for sustainable transportation, community facilities, economy, and natural systems. An aging commercial and residential building stock pose challenges as do the evolving demands of residential, commercial, and resort redevelopment. The Department must also plan and implement strategies to mitigate potential impacts of flooding, storms, and other natural hazards.
Learn more about the Department (pdf 64.82 kB)